Saturday, July 28, 2007

Mitigation and Global Warming

It seems that there is some question about what I believe. Frankly, not much. I do have some things I know and some theories that come from what I have seen. I don’t understand faith and hope, they seem like tools of deceit. When it comes to global warming we are asked to believe a lot.

Now, I don’t know how much humans have contributed to global warming, I believe a great deal, but not where folks think or tell us. I also believe that some of the science is faulty, not because of errors in the data, but, errors in the question. This leads to misinterpretation of that data or collection of meaningless data. And I believe that there is no mitigation of a problem that hasn’t had a causal definition. I believe there is no mitigation because my numbers show a run-away train that is gaining speed as it heads down the mountain. In my opinion it is stupid to play the game of “greenness” to enrich the oil companies and banks with things like ethanol (that require more energy to produce than is delivered) or “carbon credits”. I believe it is wise and good to be green and a conservationist, both morally and economically: to stop burning fuels, to insulate, to promote solar and wind power, to promote clean air, soil and water, to allow wildlife to be wild. And though, I am a technologist and an acolyte, if not priest, of technology and consumption, I do not believe technology and industry have increased the value of life. Quite the contrary, I believe industry and technology benefit a very, very, few individuals to the detriment of the majority, especially their spirits and appreciation of, or access to the natural.

I know that at least a regional warming trend exists. I know that sea and glacial ice is retreating. I know that several species are nearing extinction. I know that saddens me, for my grandchildren, especially. I believe it is wrong, though, I know extinction is a natural process, that is, should be a natural process.

I have searched high and low for any science of mitigation of this problem. I have found none, just nebulous hopes or outright lies. The most deceiving is that if we begin (in some distant future) to return to some arbitrary point of emissions (a date also in the future, return to the future?) everything will be just fine. This is strange logic and not mathematically sound but probably meets some political need. Another whacky one is the President's absurd connection of “lessening our dependence on foreign oil” to global warming. Hello? Is our domestic oil less emitting? Of course, we hear the ethanol hype which actually works with hand harvested Brazilian sugar cane, but not with Iowa corn. If my math is right(and it may not be but I believe it is) if every drop of ethanol produced went to fuel the tractors and power the distilleries and farms, you would still need several million barrels of oil to make up for the 20% loss, and not one drop of ethanol would be on the market. Nor has one anyone come up with some massive carbon scrubbers, or maybe orbit changing rockets, or even taken my notion of discharging the heat batteries seriously. Where is the mitigation?

Here’s my prediction. I think in the next year or two, probably towards the end of August, a massive heat wave will center over western Pennsylvania. The area covered by this low pressure system will stretch from Chicago to Maine and Montreal to Washington, D.C. Record breaking temperatures of around 103 degrees will stifle the area, even night time temperature will remain in the mid nineties. Most independent elderly and poor will not have air-conditioning, those that do will refuse to turn them on because of the outrageous costs.
On the third day of this heat wave electric companies will begin disconnecting service to any “questionable accounts”. Bodies will begin to stack up in many metropolitan morgues. But on the fifth day of the unrelenting heat the obsolete and poorly maintained power grid will collapse, service to nearly 200 million people will be cut off. Not only air-conditioning but water pumps, sewage plants, all refrigeration, elevators, lighting, security and communications instantly break to a halt. Riots and looting will break out in every city and town through out the east. Of course, the President, vacationing in Texas, will declare a national emergency. Governors will wish there were National Guard troops in this country as overwhelmed police and emergency crews join the mobs. On the tenth day some abatement of the heat will occur as thunderstorms move in from the mid-west. On the twelfth day some power is restored. Crews in scenes reminiscent of Katrina, Soylent Green and the Plague Years begin collecting bodies from streets and alleys in garbage trucks. More than one hundred thousand die. Three months later most power is restored but bodies are still being found.

Can’t happen? I know all this has happened several times, only the scale will be changed I believe by just a few degrees in temperature.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Great... it all starts and I'll be either in "Omaha" or "Chicago"...

You are talking about *this* August right? Like in 2 weeks?

If that actually happens, I'll be on the next plane to see you bro... so we can watch this together!

As you know, I am at the least a technologist and an acolyte... I happen to share your view that nothing we've done in the last 20 years has at all increased the value of life.

It may have made some improvements in medical care possible (for those that can afford it) and in some ways made life simpler on one hand... yet far more complicated on the other.

Technology is a tool... like a shovel... Shovels made digging holes easier, faster... they did not remove the need for holes... or the value of the hole once dug.

Greg said...

Well Bill, could be anytime...but historically speaking killer heat waves....anyway door's open and the spare bed is awaiting.

Technology? 20 years? maybe 5000 years?...seems to me what's happenned is more folks do more work giving their product to fewer people while at the same time giving control over their lives(basic living stuff like food, water and shelter) to fewer and fewer people. Same could be said for control of our souls.

I know I had to work twice as hard as my Dad (and so did my wife!) to lead a life half as personally enriching AND he had to work twice as hard as his dad...which goes back to Charlton Heston..."5000 more slaves on that block!" Today Moses would say "Bill, that block has to be moved...Help? Well, Bill it's your job. If you aren't up to it I'm sure there are a dozen folks that would like your position. What's a few long nights and weekends anyway. Management will be pleased."